Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Review: CMX - Talvikuningas

CMX - TalvikuningasRatingAlbum
I'm going to take another break from the Bandcamp series for an overdue review of one of my Christmas presents.

Allow me to provide a little perspective: someone you know wants to give you a gift. This person knows you really like music, and may even recognize a particular genre you're into. Clearly, an album of such a genre would be an excellent gift.

In many cases, it'll be a friend who knows you like, say, 1990s alternative, but doesn't know anything about it. So they rely on web searches or the suggestion of the wannabe hipster at Sam Goody (does that store even still exist?). In all likelihood, they end up giving you something you already have, like Siamese Dream. Or worse, anything by Phish. The thought was there, so you thank them and try to figure out if you can exchange the thing somewhere (unless it was Phish, in which case you'd almost rather listen to it than be seen in public with it, and you're probably seriously reconsidering the whole "friends" thing).

Now imagine that instead of a friend, it's your significant other who's been living with you and your music collection for some years. She has unique interests in other areas (say, foreign languages) that might randomly lead to them finding reference to a band or album that you've never heard of and probably never would have. So on Christmas Day, you end up with a Finnish, progressive-metal, sci-fi concept album that's next to impossible to find in the US. Cool! I love you, honey!

As it turns out, CMX is actually very popular in Finland. They started out 25 years ago, apparently as a hardcore punk band (of all things), but rather suddenly shifted to a progressive style after a few years, and generated gold certifications (in Finland that's 20,000 copies) for most of their albums, and a number of #1 songs. Talvikuningas was well-received by most at the time of its release in 2007. As my fiancée discovered, though, it is (and probably always was) pretty much impossible to find in the states. Fortunately, Amazon MP3 came through for her. Yay, Internet!

This is CMX's first concept album, though apparently the primary songwriter (A. W. Yrjänä, the band's vocalist and also bassist, interestingly) commonly uses strong mythological imagery in his writing. Now, I've mentioned before that I'm a sucker for concept albums. I'm also a big sci-fi fan, so hearing that "The Winter King" (as the title translates to) tells an epic story set in the distant future, I became even more interested. I loved the album on a purely musical level before I knew anything about the story (I don't understand a word of Finnish), but I wasn't yet prepared to write a comprehensive review. So, after some searching, I eventually found all of the lyrics, and through the magic of Google, I had a rough translation to go on. But of course, there are a number of words that didn't parse, which throws off entire sentences. And what of all that symbolism that probably gets completely lost in translation? All is further complicated by the fact that the album isn't chronological; apparently, the booklet that accompanies the CD states that the songs are war anthems and folk songs (of the future) and such. Not only that, but they are excerpted from a yet-incomplete book by Yrjänä; the album doesn't even tell the full story. So we have bits and pieces of symbolism-laden accounts of fictional events, that don't translate well and are in no particular order whatsoever? Shit, this is going to be hard.

To my delight, a translation found here filled in some of the blanks for me. (Thank you, "da_apz," although I'm wondering what happened to posting your own interpretation of the lyrics.) Armed with that page, my very literal Google translation, and the determinations of other people online, here's how I am interpreting the album's content, in a nutshell.

The Winter King, a brutal, warmongering ruler, rises to power in a world whose resources are nearing depletion. He recruits soldiers for an army to take to space and conquer colonies throughout the galaxy, promising them glory and reward. The soldiers (or perhaps just the elite among them?) instead actually become cyborg slaves to the king for the ensuing wars. Most of the songs on the album are the stories of individual characters (the cyborgs, ship captains, etc.) over the course of what appears to be a 230+ year war. During this time, the king goes mad with power, and actually loses his mind at some point, which is eventually his undoing.

UPDATE!! (2011-04-06) Thanks to Ville for a much better synopsis of the album's plot! Read it in the comments below for some important clarifications.

Now, whether I'm interpreting the story correctly remains to be seen (or we may never know), but it feels about right to me, based on the mood of the album. It also fits with elements of the classic sci-fi formula. There's an enemy that personifies evil, the futuristic tech elements (cyborgs, spaceships), an epic battle, and evil eventually failing, with some sort of profound message about society (absolute power corrupts absolutely, or some shit like that). It also utilizes the fun literary device of using the antagonist (the evil king, in this case) as the primary character. What makes a truly great concept album, though, is to take a classic formula like this, come up with the somehow appealing specifics to complete the story, and write a bunch of songs to tell the story without actually coming out and saying any of it. As near as I can tell, most of the lyrics use quotations, expressions of feelings, symbolism, and other bits and pieces that imply the overall story. And that makes it pretty damned interesting.

The music itself is a monolithic statement of versatility. The tracks vary greatly in style, yet blend seamlessly in what some have labelled a single song (although remarks calling the individual songs "hymns" and "anthems" and the non-chronological organization make that seem more of an aesthetic decision than a structural one). The opening track is a ten-minute prog anthem par excellence, setting the tone for the album perfectly with its shifts between styles and time signatures. The band's punk beginnings surface in songs that suit the style, such as the second track, whose title translates to "A Matter of Resources," which I believe to be a sort of panic over the world's depleting resources. The rest of the album follows suit, and doesn't really have any boring or low points. The guys are as fluent in their respective instruments as I've come to expect from prog bands, and the outstanding production brings a balance to them, placing slight emphasis on the vocal track when present. If I were to compare the sound to another band, I'd be inclined to say it's most like Symphony X, but with a more dynamic range (better execution on the softer stuff, and a little more of an edge on the harder stuff).

If you decide to give this album a shot, search online for [the few] other people's interpretations of the individual songs, or grab a translation of at least the song titles and decide for yourself what the music conveys. In my opinion, the instrumentation tells this story (with a little help from the rough translation) as well as English lyrics could. A fine piece of work on that basis alone. Add in the unique style ranging from modern prog to hints of the band's punk roots, executed with talents developed over the last 2-1/2 decades, and you get a very enjoyable concept record. Hyvää työtä, gentlemen.*

*[I really hope that means what it's supposed to mean.]

5 comments:

He-Man said...

I really enjoyed reading this review and as I am a Finn and a native Finnish speaker I would like to give you a bit more insight to the story of Talvikuningas.

First of all I must say that Yrjänä's texts cannot be translated properly, even A.W himself is unable to do so and thus the many layers and meanings that underline his writings are lost.

You are (understandably) a bit off in your interpretation of the story. From what I have understood (Talvikuningas's story is hard to grasp, even in Finnish) it goes like this:

A young warrior who's heart is broken is taken into a mindless and a brutal war between good and evil. He advances in ranks untill he becomes a captain of a starship. He partakes in a secrect mission, the last effort to win the war against the evil forces of Angels and Rusalkas. These evil forces are commanded by Mechanema and Mechanema was created by the seer of Parvati who also is the only one who knows how to kill Mechanema. So the protagonist (the captain) sets out on this secret mission to find the seer of Parvati (who has drifted to Far Away) and he wakes up many, many years later in his ship (the journey was extremely long) when he arrives to Far Away. He finds the seer, gains the knowledge to kill Mechanema and win the war and through many different events he finally finds his way to the throne of Mechanema, ready to finish him and the war. But then it is revealed that he IS Mechanema, a mirror image, a mirror of him! The protagonist is the player and the game itself! Everything in his life is a lie. He realizes this and takes back his kingdom from the forces of good, destroys everything he built and everything he loved. The world changes and he now reigns as the Winter King. From the perspective of the album, this happened a long time ago and only fragments and pieces of the original story remain.

Hope this helped!

vilkaas said...

What a delightful review to stumble upon through Twitter. Great work. Being a bit of a geek myself, the combination of themes and styles this album offers just appeals to me on many levels. It's remained a definite favourite over the years.

The story though has always remained an unsolved puzzle to me as well, perhaps due to lack of intellect or just plain laziness when it comes to riddles and the like. Perhaps both. Ville above is probably close to the implied story with his analysis. It's definitely well-formed in comparison to what I've been able to put together.

Anyway, thanks for the good read!

Unknown said...

Very interesting review. I've always wondered if non-Finnish speakers could get anything out of Talvikuningas. I guess they can!

I think you got the most important point of the record correct: The story is only implied and that of course is both a statement and a good way to ensure that the album doesn't get boring after a few listens. Two parts (first and last) seem to be the only ones that are not part of some history book in a distant future. So we only learn what happens at the end of the story, everything else is (cryptic) hearsay. This can lead to all sorts of interpretations... (There are a few stanzas or whatever all around the album that seem out-of-place to me so you have to take this with a grain a salt.)

BTW, Talvikuningas was first published as a limited edition dvd-case-sized box with artwork that's really cool and adds to the whole experience. Definitely the most memorable album release in my lifetime.

As a fan of concept albums I have a hunch you listen to The Mars Volta too. Got any reviews, especially on De-loused in the Comatorium? Search no worky and it's late...

Unknown said...

This album sounds awesome. I miss you man.

Saurian said...

Wow, thanks for all the comments! Sorry I'm late replying; I must have notification settings messed up, because I had no idea anyone was commenting.

All: Glad you liked the review! It's very rewarding to know that someone has read and enjoyed something I wrote, and I greatly appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

Ville: Thanks so much for that synopsis. Some of what you said jives with what I've read elsewhere, and some of it is quite new to me. That definitely gives me a new perspective on this epic story. Hopefully I can put all the pieces together someday!

Vikaas: Agreed; Ville's summary was much more well-formed than anything else I've read. I'm rather honored that my blog is playing host to it. :-)

Pave: Even if I was completely unaware of the story, I feel that Talvikuningas' musical composition stands on its own. The diverse assortment of styles combined with the artists' raw talent is a real treat. Yes, I was actually aware of the limited edition, and I'd be ecstatic to get my hands on it! If you've read some of my other reviews, you'd note that I'm a sucker for a well-crafted physical package, and this one fits that bill from what I've heard. Finally...no, I have not yet listened to enough of The Mars Volta to assemble a review. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've had them on my list of "bands to check out" for some time now; perhaps it's time to bump them up near the top.

G: I miss you guys too. Drop me a line sometime and let me know how things are going. And yes, the album is outstanding. Check it out...I have a hunch you would dig this one.

Post a Comment