Tuesday, September 8, 2009

...and so it begins

Well, I finally did it. I created a blog. I wasn't sure I'd ever commit to an autonomous blog on a particular subject; I've had blog-like pages on my web sites, a LiveJournal (for about 2 months), etc., but I was never willing to focus on one subject to dedicate a blog to.

That's still pretty much the case. While I plan to use this blog primarily for yacking about music, there will be the occasional post about a video game, TV show, or movie that's outstanding in some way, as well as other general musings. It's really all experimental at this point; as much as possible, however, I'm going to stick to reviewing music albums.

I've always enjoyed sharing my opinions and writing reviews on something I've enjoyed, and music was my single most favored form of entertainment for most of my life, especially during and immediately following my time served in high school. In more recent years, my love for music has taken a backseat to the other aspects of my life. This morning (in the shower, of all places), I decided I wanted to make an effort to bring music closer to the foreground of my life again; it occurred to me that a blog for reviewing music would be an excellent outlet for this, something tangible to facilitate my voyages into sound and help further my appreciation for the art.

At some point, if my adventure in the blogosphere progresses well, I may establish a separate blog for movies and TV. My fiance and I have acquired an unusual taste in film, taking a sort of MST3K approach to our selections; enjoying movies on a “snarkable” level opens one up to a huge variety of rare and obscure films that one might otherwise never even be aware of, and every now and then, there's a real gem amongst the crap. I'm going to limit postings about such things in this blog to the more extraordinary examples, saving the more detailed account of that journey for another potential place.

I will post one or two more introductory posts today and tomorrow, including my first album review, to get things going and give me some substance to work with as I tweak the look and feel of this place (web development is another interest of mine, and I'd like to get into the blog's code and play with it a bit).

Thanks for wasting your time with me. I hope you enjoy my ramblings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment