Friday, September 11, 2009

New Release: Ensiferum - From Afar

Finnish metalists Ensiferum released their first album in 2001, and I hadn't heard of them until their 4th album was released just 2 days ago. Upon reading up a little, I discovered that they are considered to be "folk metal" or "viking metal," fusion metal genres I've only recently obtained more familiarity with than the simple knowledge of their existence. It sounded interesting, but I was merely expecting something similar to Amon Amarth or other bands of the genre. Not exactly so...




The album, entitled From Afar, demonstrates a fair amount of technical instrumentation skills, including a respectable speed by drummer Janne Parviainen, as well as some complex riffs from guitarist and founding member Markus Toivonen. Petri Lindroos functions as second guitarist and an excellent harsh vocalist, while Toivonen provides clean backing vocals. The combination of harsh and clean vocals is well-executed on the record. Ensiferum adeptly blends folk-style melodies with traditional-style metal riffs: the instruments that can be heard range from full orchestras and traditional folk instruments to what sounds like a banjo, and the influence of the power metal style is strongly apparent in the instrumentation. Notably, From Afar was produced by Nightwish producer Tero Kinnunen.

The record caught my interest at the very beginning. The opening track, "By The Dividing Storm," is a pleasant, folk-style tune, and is sharply followed by the brutal title track's fast pace and catchy melody. Other highlights include the ambitious, 2-part "Heathen Throne" (clocking in at about 24 minutes total), and the fantastic riffs of "Twilight Tavern." I often expect albums of genres like this to eventually become somewhat monotonous and repetitive; not so with From Afar. Ensiferum prove they can write and play a diverse collection of songs without sacrificing the elements of their style--a highly respectable trait. The lyrics are, while not badly written and very well-delivered, a bit cheesy, but this is to be expected of the genre. Naturally, the lyrics tend to center around Norse sagas or mythology, but Ensiferum also draw some content from Finnish literature and poetry, such as the Kalevala.

I don't know that I'm ready to call it a masterpiece yet, but this is definitely a solid album. I'm glad that Ensiferum didn't manage to stay under my radar any longer. If From Afar is any indication of their ability, I'll be checking out their prior albums very soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a band I have been reading about for awhile now and I feel bad I haven't given a chance. I am going to add this to my check this out list. BTW the new Dethklok is out and it is brutal as if you expected anything less.

Saurian said...

I think you'd really dig this band. I'll let you know when I check out their other albums.

I should do Dethklok here at some point. Maybe I should just review the whole Metalocalypse series? (Still haven't seen season 3, BTW.) I wanted to stick to albums here, but I think live DVDs and other related stuff is acceptable.

Unknown said...

bought this album today at Exclusive Company along with Battle Metal by Turisas and the new Korpiklanni was not disappointed:) Not that I expected to be.

Post a Comment