Monday, July 5, 2010

Twitter

Something must be wrong with me. I was sure I'd never have a blog. I made one anyway, and the regular updates didn't last very long, just as I'd suspected. Then I started using Google Buzz here and there, which actually wasn't such a big deal since it's well-organized, and neatly integrated into Gmail. Now I have a fucking Twitter account, too.

I didn't understand Twitter for a long time. OK, I got that you could post to a blog-like thing via text message, which I guess is nifty. But I had a hard time following conversations on it, and thought it counter-intuitive to have something set up to read responses before what prompted them (and my blind [and/or apathetic] ass didn't see the "in reply to" links for a long time, meaning I was sifting through posts to find a corresponding date). Now that I've seriously checked it out, it makes a little more sense.

Noticing that not everyone uses Twitter to try and talk to each other had a lot to do with my coming around. Also, the ability to steer clear of high-schoolers comes easier than I'd expected. That helps even more. The icing on the cake, for me, has been Touiteur, an excellent application for the Android OS for viewing and posting to one's account. The pleasure of using that app alone is almost enough to justify having an account.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can probably see that I already added a gadget to the sidebar here showing recent "tweets" and a link. I'm not going to try harvesting followers since I don't even know what I'll use it for yet, but feel free if you have your own account and want to keep tabs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment